Congratulations to the team with the most poetic name in the NFL: Seattle Sea Hawks Win their First Super Bowl



Seattle Celebrates Tonight!

Okay. I will admit it. This is the first time that I've watched a football game in over three decades. The last time I was at Chris Gray's house in Medway, Massachusetts munching on his mom's homemade lasagna. The game was making history with the first African American quarterback to kick off the game.

Tonight Seattle made history. It was my city's first Super Bowl win in the team's 38 year history. Not only that -- this is a team of young men who defied the odds. Everything about them seems magical--- not only the Sea Hawks name. Russell Wilson and Richard Sherman are the players I find the most fascinating. Both men are known for their volunteer work at Children's Hospital. And I love that Coach Carol involved himself in all aspects of the players lives and surely they are one of the only teams in the NFL that meditate together as part of their practice.

I won't pretend that I am a big football fan. Like I said, the first game I've watched since the 1970's. And yet. Tonight was a drama unfolding --- a dream over the 10 yard line. Fireworks are going off on my street, cars are honking and I can hear the impromptu gatherings by the beach.

This is a night of possibility; whatever your dreams may be. Why not you? Is the line that Russell Wilson's father allegedly would say to him as a young boy. Why not you. Why not us?

Seattle Great Wheel in Sea Hawk's Colors

Comments