Babies are born with 300 bones, but by adulthood we have only 206 in our bodies.



Isn't this an amazing "true" fact about the body? I learned this yesterday in a great workshop given by the poet Susan Landgraf at the Port Townsend Writers Conference. Where do the 94 missing bones go? A woman in the workshop wrote a gorgeous poem to her missing bones --- just beautiful. I'm always amazed at writers who can create something gorgeous during a 20 minute exercise ... my mind rarely works that fast. Instead, I will mull over this fact -- the magic of which overwhelmed me in the moment. How can an infant have more bones than a full grown adult? I want to know. No, I want to imagine.

If you ever get a chance to take a workshop from Susan Landgraf -- you must. She is wise, creative, and always makes me strive to try new ideas, new workshops, new ways of thinking. She is teaching this Friday --- a workshop on food and poetry. See you there!

Comments