Today's Poem - from Ansie Baird, In Advance of All Parting, White Pine Press Poetry Prize


Nothing of You

I

Sometimes I pretend you have tumbled
off the edge of the Persian Gulf,
dropped like a pearl
to the bottom of the sea.


You glimmer, but the indifferent fish
swim on.

You are my exotic, my precious
non-posession.

I would have you hammered
into sheets of gold,
molded into a brooch
I could pin on my lapel.

See, I'd say. There he is.
Doesn't he shine?

Ansie Baird, In Advance of All Parting

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
  2. was just in Talking Leaves and thought about stealing your new book but was overwhelmed with guilt feelings and put it back on the shelf. son of a bitch! I really am a Man at last.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment