Superior Donuts is Actually, Superior

The best play I've seen in a long, long time
If you live in the Seattle area or have a chance to see this play, Superior Donuts, where you live, do it! This is a play for poets and writers; the writing is nuanced and sharply observed. Tracy Letts is a Pulitzer prize winning playwright who lived and worked in Chicago where the story is located. I especially loved these two characters, Arthur and Franco, men who come to believe in each other. The story is a neighborhood story but it is the mixture of comedic timing and pathos that made this especially magical for me. And any script that names off Gwendolyn Brooks, Lucille Clifton, and Yusef Komunyakaa scores extra points with me. There's a spot on review at The Stranger comparing it with Pullman Porter Blues. Here are my favorite lines from Brendan Kiley's review. I've never thought of a play as a sonnet before but this seems the perfect albeit unlikely description.

The storefront-sized confines of Donuts give its characters greater fluidity and freedom, and their little tics speak volumes more than any sweeping gestures. August was a pretty good epic; Donuts is an exquisite sonnet.

Comments