Visual Art and Poetry: The Sister Arts

Henri Matisse: TheWindow
Today is devoted to thinking about ekphrastic poetry. Next week I have the honor of presenting my workshop Speaking Pictures at the Peabody Essex Museum in Salem, Massachusetts as a pre-event for he Massachusetts Poetry Festival.

Marc Chagall: Me and the Village

I have so many ideas and resources but now it's time to scale back and figure out how to plan out our time together. This is where I sometimes run into problems; I want to do everything! Since the participants will be experts in the art, my main job is to provide different ways to restore playfulness. There are so many wonderful poems I want to read together, quotes I want to share, and exercises I want to do. My style is to prepare more than we can do together so I can pick and choose a bit once I get a feel for the group. If you have any favorite exercises or ekphrastic poems, please leave me a note below.

Comments

  1. Hi Susan: Linda Pastan's collection Carnival Evening has some terrific ekphrastic poems including "Woman Holding a Balance," "Fresco," and "Courbet's 'Still Life with Apples and Pomegranate.'" Sometimes it's fun to open a workshop with the Surrealist parlor writing game called the "Exquisite Corpse." Good luck.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Wendy! I love Linda Pastan and have Carnival Evening. And Exquisite Corpse is a great way to start the afternoon. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment