US Poets in Mexico - Poetry Workshops and Festival


This is where I will be next January teaching for US Poets in Mexico alongside Carolyn Forche and Diane Wakowski. I've just sent my workshop title in and am thinking a lot about what makes for a good workshop theme. Lately, I've been doing a lot on ekphrasis - and maybe that's what I really want to do -- but I sent another description in -- on food poetry. The truth is, I wanted something that would be a bit light-hearted for a week away -- but now I am not so sure. Many other writers are offering workshops in revision or new writing -- leaving it much more open. Personally, I like a class to have a well-defined theme. I'm curious what workshops you've taken or taught that have been memorable. What did you like about them? What lingers long after the class is over?

Comments

  1. Hi Susan,
    I think a workshop on food writing would be perfect. I have often seen other poets write about that topic, but just haven't figured out how to attack that topic and would love to take a workshop so focused on something that I know about! Less daunting, perhaps, then other possible topics, in my opinion.
    And the Mexican cuisine could add some lovely flavor to the poems....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol,
    I was hungry when I was writing out my workshop idea! In the end, I changed to the writing about art workshop because I think it can encompass food poetry as well. I'm already planning to create a still life for students to write about - based on delicious Mexican fruits!
    Thanks for your in-put. I've taught workshops on food before and it can really be fun.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment