Wednesday, February 24, 2010

US Poets in Mexico - Poetry Workshops and Festival


This is where I will be next January teaching for US Poets in Mexico alongside Carolyn Forche and Diane Wakowski. I've just sent my workshop title in and am thinking a lot about what makes for a good workshop theme. Lately, I've been doing a lot on ekphrasis - and maybe that's what I really want to do -- but I sent another description in -- on food poetry. The truth is, I wanted something that would be a bit light-hearted for a week away -- but now I am not so sure. Many other writers are offering workshops in revision or new writing -- leaving it much more open. Personally, I like a class to have a well-defined theme. I'm curious what workshops you've taken or taught that have been memorable. What did you like about them? What lingers long after the class is over?

2 comments:

  1. Hi Susan,
    I think a workshop on food writing would be perfect. I have often seen other poets write about that topic, but just haven't figured out how to attack that topic and would love to take a workshop so focused on something that I know about! Less daunting, perhaps, then other possible topics, in my opinion.
    And the Mexican cuisine could add some lovely flavor to the poems....

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Carol,
    I was hungry when I was writing out my workshop idea! In the end, I changed to the writing about art workshop because I think it can encompass food poetry as well. I'm already planning to create a still life for students to write about - based on delicious Mexican fruits!
    Thanks for your in-put. I've taught workshops on food before and it can really be fun.

    ReplyDelete